Those who prefer their meals with a bit of filming location on the side and have an extra $6 million lying around should direct their attention to Newcomb’s Ranch in La Cañada Flintridge. The historic roadside eatery, which sits nestled alongside the Angeles Crest Highway about 30 miles northeast of Pasadena, hit the market this past June for the first time in two decades! Offered at a cool $5,985,000, the listing is held by Lee Shapiro and Justin Weiss of the Kennedy Wilson Brokerage.
The land where Newcomb’s Ranch now stands was initially developed way back in 1878 by Lewis “Louie” Newcomb, a forester, trail maker and “expert carpenter” who a California Highways and Public Works article deemed “one of the real pioneers of the Angeles Forest area.” Initially measuring an incredible 160 mountainous acres topping out at an elevation of 5,340 feet, Louie’s property was remote, intensely private and rarely met by passersby. So he was none too pleased in the late 1920s when plans got underway to develop California State Route 2, aka the Angeles Crest Highway, straight through his beloved homestead. The road, he is said to have lamented, “ruined the place.” As such, he sold his vast tree-strewn acreage to his cousin Lynn Newcomb Sr. in 1929 and migrated to Sierra Madre, where he lived out the rest of his days.
Recognizing the immense possibility for profit the new thoroughfare would provide, Lynn established Newcomb’s Ranch, a roadside restaurant, general store and 15-room inn, in 1939, the same year that the La Cañada to Chilao stretch of CA-2 was completed. One of the only such businesses in the area, the place flourished becoming a popular pit stop for motorists, especially once construction of Angeles Crest Highway was fully executed through to Mountain Top Junction in San Bernardino in 1956.
Though the inn portion of the property was burned in a fire set by a disgruntled worker in 1976, the bar and restaurant have remained intact and are still holding strong today, 85 years after their inception!