This striking Spanish Revival house was owned by Harry Anderson of “Night Court” fame in the 1990s; it was also owned in the ’60s by “Little House on the Prairie” star Michael Landon. Now the property has changed hands once again, selling to Ryan Rabin — the noted musician and former drummer/producer for the alternative rock band Grouplove (“Colours,” “Tongue Tied”).
Rabin — who also happens to be the son of Trevor Rabin, the ex-Yes guitarist responsible for penning the classic ’83 tune “Owner of a Lonely Heart” — doled out $4.3 million for the white stucco and terracotta tile roof structure, originally built in 1926 and meticulously updated over the years. Tucked away on a secluded cul-de-sac street, on a quarter-acre parcel near Griffith Park and the Greek Theatre, the home sports four bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms spread across nearly 5,000 square feet of glam-filled living space.
An ornately carved front door opens into a double-height foyer hearkening back to Hollywood’s Golden Age, complete with a winding wrought iron staircase flanked by cathedral stained-glass windows. Overhead is a hand-stenciled, hexagonal wood ceiling adorned with an iron chandelier. From there, a sunken fireside living room is highlighted by a soaring wood-beam ceiling, while a game room overlooks the grounds. Other main-level highlights include a kitchen outfitted with luxe stainless appliances, custom cabinetry and an octagonal breakfast nook, plus a separate formal dining room and guest bedroom wing with its own entrance.
The upstairs portion of the house holds three ensuite bedrooms, including a spacious primary suite spotlighted by a balcony and vintage-style bath with pink tile. The lower level hosts a speakeasy-style bar decked out with black-and-white tile floors and mirrored backsplashes, plus a screening room boasting a stained-glass oculus window and fireplace. The amenities continue outdoors, where the lush backyard features a grassy lounge area, cabana and pool reportedly added by Landon over the summer of 1960.